This is a healthy adaptation of a Mexican classic, the taco! These tacos are vegan,gluten free and packed with plant based protein! This recipe calls for either crunchy lettuce or radicchio leaves instead of a corn or wheat tortilla. I find romaine works well since it holds together nicely.. but feel free to switch up your greens!
- 1 cup cooked green lentils
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted or raw (pre soaked)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less depends on your spice tolerance!)
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- If toasting walnuts, preheat oven to 3ooF, place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. If soaking walnuts, strain walnuts and discard soaking water.
- Once walnuts (and lentils) are cooled, put in food processor. Pulse into a coarse texture. Be careful not to over puree or mixture will turn into more of a paste rather than “meaty” filling.
- With a spoon, stir in oregano, cumin, chili, salt and olive oil. If mixture seems dry, add a splash of water and mix until desired consistency.
- Add the taco ‘meat’ on top of a pre washed and dried lettuce leaf, add desired toppings and enjoy!
Some optional toppings:
- Sautéed onions and peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onions
- Cashew sour cream
- Squeeze of lime juice
This meal is loaded with fibre, iron and protein from the lentils and healthy, brain boosting fats from the walnuts. The crunch factor and flavours make this meal very satisfying and it’s fun to make and enjoy with others.
Double the recipe and save left over taco filling to add to salads or your favourite grains throughout the week!
- Share on Facebook2