Time! Something we all lack! Many of us are too busy with life, school, work and kids. So when it comes to eating clean and food prepping, it can be challenging. I know you’ve heard this before, make time for what is important! And meal prep, meal prep, meal prep! But sometimes, it can genuinely get busy and hard to do that food prep thing! Here is our guide on how to meal prep for busy bodies! The trick is to plan ahead and schedule time during the week when you know you will be grocery shopping and cooking. In all it should only take about 5 hours out of your week to plan your meals, grocery shop and cook!
- First and foremost, ensure you have the right pots, pans, measuring cups, spoons and containers before scheduling your meal prep! You can cook food without the right utensils.
- Write out your meals for the week (or use a meal plan like the one here!) Be detailed! Figure out exactly what you want to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner AND for snacks! (total time requires: 30 minutes)
- Based on your meals, make a grocery list! Make sure to include lots of spices, dried herbs and healthy cooking oils like coconut oil. (total time required: 10 minutes)
- Pick out an optimal time to go grocery shopping at a store that carries MOST (if not all) the items you need! It’s easier to go to one store and pick up everything than to go to multiple stores. Buy everything in BULK! Remember many veggies and fruit can be frozen or bought frozen. Frozen veggies and fruits are just as good fresh ones if bought organic and without additives! (total time required: 1 hour)
- Set a time during the week where you know you will have 3 hours FREE to meal prep. This can be any time, on any day! On the day you picked out, take all your groceries and meal prep! (total time required 3 hours per week)
- Make sure to cook everything in BULK and portion your meals out ahead of time. Even portion out your shakes and snacks. Portion out EVERYTHING ahead of time: A good tip is to buy plenty of containers, jars and plastic bags. You can even portion on salads and raw veggies and fruit by measuring out each day’s portion and setting a side in a plastic bag. And portion out breakfast by putting all the raw material in jars. This part is just as important as the rest of the process! (total time: 30 minutes)
Voila! That’s it! You are now prepared to eat clean, healthy meals for the entire week! Remember it’s rather you take the 5 hours required out plan out your meals or regret not doing it! If you are looking for a great meal plan, I recommend the one here! It comes with a complete chart and breakdown of what you should eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!