I know many of you (myself included) often struggle with healthy snack ideas. And as a busy business owner who is literally on the go all the time, I understand the importance of having convenient healthy snacks (and a suitable meal plan!) that are ready to eat on the go! It’s difficult to find snacks that are made from the good stuff you want (like protein, vitamins, minerals) but are also low in sugar, free of preservatives and all other junk (like high fructose corn syrup).
I personally always look for what I call “super charged snacks” . Essentially these are snack foods that provide a healthy dose of protein, good fats, phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. I also read the food label to make sure that the product is made of ingredients that are mostly whole foods. Unfortunately many of the snacks out there, specially the ones marketed as “healthy” are actually not very healthy as they contain chemicals, highly refined foods, preservatives and additives. However, there are some awesome, healthy and convenient snacks that you can have on the go!
I have made a list of my favourite 8 convenient, supercharged snacks that are both calorie wise and healthy… added bonus: all of them are vegan! They are safe to consume for those of you who like me do not consume much animal products (….speaking of, if you are looking for a vegan meal plan, check THIS out!). These are snacks that I buy almost every single week and keep on me at all times!
8 Supercharged Vegan Snacks:
- Seaweed snacks: Seaweed helps prevent inflammation and acts as an antioxidant. It also contains iodine which is great for helping regulate thyroid hormones and your metabolism.
- Vega Savi Seed: Containing 13 grams of good fats and 9 grams of protein per serving, Vega’s Saviseed is indeed savi! It’s packed with everything your body needs! Great snack on the go!
- Hemp Bar: This quick grab bar is packed with 10 grams of good fats, 10 grams of protein and only 9 grams of sugar per serving! The best thing about this bar is that it’s made from raw, organic whole foods such as hemp seeds, organic coconut sugar and sea salt.
- Green apples with almond butter: I love green apples with a little bit of spice! Low calories but high in vitamins and fibre! Chop one on the go and add some Himalayan Sea Salt, natural almond butter or Tajha Mexican Spice!
- Unsweetened Cashew and Almond Yogurt: Discovering this dairy free yogurt has been a blessing! It is just as creamy as yogurt and contain probiotics to help with digestive health. I buy the unsweetened cashew or coconut milk ones and add fresh berries, chia seeds, slivered almonds and agave to create a healthy “yogurt parfait”!
- Vegan Protein: Kaizen Naturals, Sunwarrior and Sprouted Pea Protein all make some awesome tasting vegan proteins! These vegan proteins are thick and creamy and does not taste chalky (or like cardboard)… I mix mine with a teaspoon of organic spirulina and unsweetened cashew, almond or coconut milk. When buying a vegan protein powder be sure to buy a small quantity or sample it to see if it sits well in your stomach … and to see if you like the taste as some vegan brands have a very potent earthy taste that is not well tolerated by everyone.
- Popcorn: I just discovered these a new GMO free popcorn few weeks ago! Great to see a popcorn brand that is low in calories. Two cups of this stuff only packs 80 calories! I suggest portioning out a cup at a time in plastic bags for on the go! Keep in the car or gym bag alongside some fresh cut apple slices and rice cakes!
- Raw, organic berries: Last but not least, raw berries are good to eat anywhere and everywhere. I suggest buying blueberries, blackberries and strawberries and mixing a cup with cashew yogurt or with organic greek yogurt (if your stomach can stand dairy)
That’s all! I hope you incorporate some of these healthy, vegan alternatives into your diet! And if you stuck on how to adapt a vegan diet into your lifestyle, check out this awesome meal plan!